This is not a food blog.
Although this post is all about food…I just thought I would lead with that, because food is a major part of how communities come together, and with every new flavor and take on how food is prepared it adds another element of who we are as a city. Edmonton has a growing culinary reputation.
Whether you are a foodie or not you could appreciate all of the new flavors & establishment’s that have made their way into the Edmonton food scene. Especially with the addition of Rogers Place arena downtown, many new restaurants have popped up to meet the growing demand. There is something for every taste.
Next time you want to head out for a date in Edmonton, or just want to try some place new that Edmontonians are talking about before the hockey game, or concert downtown, here is my list of buzz worthy additions to the YEG downtown core. Most of these will require some planning ahead on your part. Don’t be disappointed; make a reservation.
Drinks & Snacks
- Otto – Tucked away in the community of Norwood (95st and 114st). This once somewhat desolate neighborhood is getting a revamp by way of fun eating establishments like Otto. The dutch inspired restaurant has a variety of craft beers or great coffee if that is more your speed. Also Otto features a selection of local made sausages from FUGE.
- Alta & Alder Room – Dark, intimate settings. Alta is now open. Alder room is the sister restaurant awaiting it’s opening soon. Much anticipated from the chef of North53. Regionally inspired vegetable dishes. Crafted cocktails, small plates. Good for a date, or an after work debrief.
- Crash Lobby Bar – Edmonton’s newly opened CRASH hotel has a happening lobby bar with some great food at that. A few hearty dishes like the Alberta short ribs, or their signature Crash Burger. Have some drinks and head over to Denizen Hall (pub/dance/arcade) it’s conveniently located next door.
- Cavern – Wine & cheese. Small downstairs establishment off 104street serves a huge selection of artisanal cheese for enjoying in-house or have them wrap up your selections to go.
Dinner & Drinks
- Uccelino – Corso32 owner has opened up his trifecta of restaurants with this modern casual (but oh so fine) take on Italian dining. Uccelino is a must try on Jasper Avenue right next to his others awesome restaurants (Bar Bricco, Corso32). Simple Italian food, made with the very best ingredients and care.
- Atlas Steak & Fish – Perfect for date night. Steak dinner, and the bright lights of the casino or take in a show at Rogers place. Great wine selection as well.
- Baijiu – Located in the historical Mercer building, right across from Rogers Place Baijiu offers Asian inspired plates, perfect for sharing family style. Grab some friends and check it out.
- XO Bistro & Bar – An upscale Vietnamese restaurant in Edmonton’s ICE district. Asian inspired cocktails, and traditional & tasty Vietnamese dishes.
The diversity in cultural dining experiences is something that has always been embraced in Edmonton, and the opportunity for more of that is inevitable as the ICE district develops downtown. What are your favorite new spots, or hidden gems in downtown Edmonton?